Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Drive Within

1, 2,….5, 6 and seven car wash signs, 7, 8, 9 and ten wedding signs, 3, 4 and five houses painted in green. An old wooden house at kilometer 32; I was tempted to stop my car and take picture of it with my DSLR camera; it looks liberating in that pouring rains. Children were dancing in the rains, while the motorcyclists were seen taking refuge under big fig trees. 

I could have step on the accelerator and all the above will remain unnoticed but as fated rain was pouring like crazy that afternoon and with less than 100m visibility- I was made humble. Plus there was a huge tractor engine which runs at 60 km per hours on the same highway. Whiles others were trying to overtake…me? At one corner- I counted… my car line at number 9.

In this modern age, busy schedule has sometimes reduced our life into routine. Reports, datelines, analysis, meetings, conferences, outstation and it goes round and round until one day we realised it is already toward the end of the year. I have just realised that for the most part of my adult life, I have been the bystander of life.

When I was little, fun came in the form of simple pleasures. Fun was spending a glorious afternoon playing catch at the nearby stream or playing hides and seeks through the woods. I had such a curiosity for life and I was an adventurer. I don’t think I have felt that kind of joy and freedom for many years now.

What happened? Perhaps I lost sight of life simple joy when I became an adult and resigned myself to acting the way adults were supposed to act. That drive, the pouring rains, the tractor, the signs, the green houses and the little children made me realised that I should stop spending so much time making a living and try to spend some time creating a life. 

Take the road less travelled. Most people live within the confines of their comfort zone. Maybe we ought to stop being so practical and start doing things that we wanted to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment