Friday, September 2, 2011

A visiting friend

I swear I wrote it down somewhere…! As I was getting ready socks and shoes for my weekend jog, I received a text message “Hey, I’m in KK now…” How could I missed the date, I grab my phone run through my calendar-NOTHING. I guess I messed the schedule up.

That text message was from someone I knew back in campus while pursuing my post-grads. We share the same lab and supervisor, love green and very passionate in reading. Time really flies; the last time we met was during her wedding in Kuching which I attended. She is on a flight transit and she is my friend- X. R.

And that Sunday night, we met up for a drink; we talk about life- my work, her PhD research and to spice things up-gossips. One and a half hour later, we hug each other, say our goodbye and promise to keep in touch. As I was about to turn she grabs my hand and say, ‘Go get yourself a boyfriend” I laughed and nodded saying ‘I’ll let you know…” 

That night, while driving home, it all comes back to me-How our friendship started…

When, I first heard her name, I really thought she is a student from China; the truth is I never heard of a Surname “Ma” at least not in the short period of my life except those from the Chinese movies. We became friends over lunches good foods and books. 

I pulled a prank on her once. Texting her that there would be a lab meeting the next day at 7am and she woke up early, drive down before the sun was up and came. We have had a good laugh on that incident but I never actually gotten rid of the guilt even after apologizing and treating her to lunch.

I remember how we argue about world creation and the cycle of life as I am a Christian and she is a Buddhist. She was the one that taught me that to uncover one religious you ought to learn the language of origin of that religion. Thou, I know it’s true, I never learn Latin for that matters.

Through the years, I am blessed to have met and made friends with people of all walks of life, some become my traveling companion, some become my best of friends and although some become less than a friend and more of a stranger, I just want to say thank you and I am forever grateful to have all of you painting my life.

Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.”

4 comments:

  1. hahah... penjahat juga u this kan.. ;-)
    on behalf of all friends "you are most welcome and thank you also to you for being a great friend in Christ.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you to you to gal for being a great news friend always keep me up to date with our former schoolmate..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice site. :-) Go get yourself a boyfriend! Best advice i ever heard, albeit not the most practical or easy one. hehe

    Just blogjumping from Globalized Dayung's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally have no memory of such prank! i'm really getting old.... anyway, it's nice to catch up with u in KK. old friends are as good as gold.

    ReplyDelete