Saturday, March 24, 2012

1968


I wake up to the sound of the machine and the ground shaking. Damn, why do they have to build this house beside the workshop? It’s drizzling outside, I try to shut my eyes, just need 10 more minutes but instead the sound got even louder and one hour later, with one hand holding a steaming hot tea and the other one unlocking the car, I arrive minutes later to my office building. The early bird catches the best worm? I doubt that phase. My schedule had been reduced to horrible routine these past few weeks.  I desperately need some diversion.

That night, I sat by my home desk table, a journal on the hand, and pen on the other, I start writing…1968 is the hours spend as of 22nd March 2012. 

My Work includes the first few minutes in the morning to sort out email, spending hours on the phone with my subordinate to get an update on their research because I could not afford the luxury to drive four hours weekly to check on them. I spend hours later on the computer to work on report and data analysis trying to catch up with some impossible datelines. I try to allocate few hours weekly for a walk in the oil palm field for inspection and every few minutes per day to countersign work related documents. That made up 589 hours.

As much as you like spending time on your work, my advices do not sacrifice EVERYTHING for it because in the end it is only just works. You don’t choose life, you live one…

Driving I spend a total of 48 hours driving. It’s a one and a half hour drive to my parents’ house. So, I obediently drive up every weekend. I drive to outstation and I drive to the airport. Thinking back, there is not a single day since taking up this job that didn’t require me to get my hands on steering wheel. As much as I hate it, driving has been the sole companion to ease my stress, it is the one place where all idea/prayer/ pondering took place. 

A friendly advice from a fellow driver to another driver, If you are driving alone, long distance and at odd hours and not a coffee drinker (like me), here are my tips to deter sleep while on the wheel, 1) play all your favourite music once (no repeat please) at least in three different languages and sing out load comes your most favourite song on air. 2) It helps to have a super-hot tea nearby the driver seat or junk food that requires only one hand to handle and 3) listen to a radio channel with language you couldn’t completely comprehend.   

Flight I spend approximately a total of 16 hours on airplane this include travelling to any other parts of Sabah or Malaysia to attend conference or meeting. I still remember a butterfly feeling I had the first time I boarded an ATR aircraft, with a length of approximately 89 feet; and have passenger capacity of 68 people including the pilot and his crews.  It has two turbine fans, so it is safe to say that it can glide come what may. If you ever board this plane, choose the back row seats to enjoy the advantage of disembarking first. Different from its brother the big Boeing, ATR is equip with small monitor screen for safety briefing and running video on tourism destination promotion within Sabah & Sarawak. 

The next time you are on-board an aircraft and turbulence happen please don’t scream and get panic because it irritates the person beside you plus it’s not turbulence that you must be worry about, but it’s the engine, the hydraulic system that matters, and the pilot of course.

Sleep research indicate that healthy adult should sleep at least 8 hours daily. As working adult, we don’t have the luxury of sleeping whenever or wherever we want. As for me, I try to get as much sleep as I possibly can and on good days I manage a good 7 hours sleep, a total of 492 hours. I always insist on going back home early during my hang out times and often on my exit, my friends will laugh while saying, “You are not a baby Mel and you don’t need 8 hours of sleep every day”. 

The next time you tossed and turned trying to sleep and you can’t, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying.  It's the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep. 

Pray- 30 hours I attend church every Sunday and days of obligation because I am a believer even though sometimes I don’t measure up to the faith but it’s the one place where I find courage to face another unpredictable week. Lent started from Ash Wednesday until Good Friday, I have obediently observed this fasting month and have lost 4 kg since then. But, it was never about the weight lost, it’s about finding God within yourself, acknowledge Him and have Him take charge in your life.

Charity I have spent at least 9 hours on charity (not a handsome hour’s I know …haha). But it is something that I will pay more attention to in the future, maybe join an NGO, putting aside small amount of my salary for conservation purpose. 

I always believe that when you look back on your life, the moments that stand out are the moments when you have done things for others.

Pass Time-30 hours Taking photos has been my new found joy, but sadly I spend no more than one hour some days to furnish my photo taking tactic. I bought 4 books on motivation and 5 books on non-fiction section. I read mostly while waiting for my flight in the airport, during lunch break and also before bed time. I can proudly say that I have finished reading 4 books and counting. I also find time for a quick run at the nearby park. Always take time for yourself and pat yourself on the back if you have done a good job. You deserve it.

Finally, the rest of the hours 754 hours are spend doing something I cannot at present remember. Maybe the diversion I need is there within these hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment