Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Buddhist Monk

I have had a pleasant encounter yesterday, a Monk who happen to seat next to me on a supposedly 45 minutes journey that turned 4 hours from Tawau to Kota Kinabalu.
 
I was preoccupied~giggling and laughing while watching 'The Croods' on the first two hours and only realised he is not from around here when he excused himself took his bags and tried to leave the plane when clearly the Captain had said the plane had reroute away from the original destination because of the heavy downpour in Kota Kinabalu. 

Entering the third hours of waiting had successfully made me restless. One, I was clearly exhausted having given my 100% concentration during the morning discussion, Two I was beyond hungry as I did not had proper meal having rush to the briefing demo in  field right after the discussion and Thirdly frustrated had consume me as they only served juices during the whole 'waiting' drama. Worst, I had to cancel a dinner appointment with a dear friend.   

He~the Buddhist Monk then came into picture, told me that he was invited here to Sabah to give talks on religious matters. Last night was his 35th days. I then realised he brings in all the positive energy on every situation. 

I was ready to complaint that the airlines should served at least hot drink but he instead was grateful of the second juice serving instead of the normal one serving. I was about to make another complaint when he told me this rain is consider good rain compare to Taifun that he had experience in Taiwan. He also thought that the ground staffs had brilliant ideas as to not waste time but took the time refiueling the plane while waiting for the weather to clear up. 

Me ...I googled and found out that the rain had stop according to yahoo weather. That was clearly a waste of time, I knew well enough that to fuel in, you needed at least 30 minutes, clearly that was not brilliant right?! As if he knew what I was about to say next, he said "think about the other passengers waiting in KK, at least refueling now would minimized time wasted there". Did he just read my thought??? 

As the plane took off, he was admiring the beautiful night view of Kota Kinabalu because on this flight he was able to see the city lights from way up above and he said "I guess this is Sabah gift to me- just beautiful" as he will be flying back to Taipe the next morning. As we said our goodbyes, he said it was nice to had met and talked to me and told me that I should visit Taipe one of these days, it would be fun holidays. The only thing that I was grateful of during the whole conversation was the fact that I speak his languages to at least make a descent talk. 

It was indeed eyes opener. To be able to see even if it's only a flicker of light in the mist of every darkness is a gift. Lesson learned and treasured...! I didn't catch his name though but then again I am never good in remembering names.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment